Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mantle to hold DVD player

Posted by bandmom (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 12, 09 at 11:11

I have a mantle that is just a single shelf over my fireplace, and I would like to put my new flat-screen TV over the fireplace. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about doing that, and if there is a way to have some sort of mantle that will hold/hide the DVD player and satellite receiver--kind of like a "cabinet" or something that acts as the mantle too. I don't want all that stuff just sitting on the one I have now--it will look tacky. I also don't want to just stick them on a shelf off to the side and have all the cords hanging out everywhere. It seems that a mantle/cabinet to hold those entertainment things would be best.

Any help or info is appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mantle to hold DVD player

TV placement above the fireplace is not optimal -- too high. You'll get a crinked neck from looking up at it after a while. Maybe ok in hotel lobbies, but not in a private home. Find another place.

o

I agree with haus proud. But if you insist on doing it, best thing is to put the DVD player and any other cable or DVR/TIVO box in a remote location with the connecting wires going through the walls (electricians can do this.) Or, I was just reading somewhere that what I just said is old technology, and now you can do these things wirelessly. However, I don't know anything more about the wireless option.

Hiding even a slim DVD player in the mantle is going to make for a mantle that's much too thick.

o

Try www.Farringtoncabinetworks.com Click on portfolio. There is a white surround that has a hidden cabinet.

o

I've been hearing the stuff about a "crinked neck" from having a tv above the fireplace. It's just not true, unless you have a small room where you're sitting really close which makes for a steep angle to look up at the screen. I have mine above the fireplace mantel and neither my family nor any friends have complained about it. The more important consideration is the heat that is produced by the fireplace. You need to make sure that your mantle shelf sticks out from the wall at least 8". This shields the unit from the rising heat. That's also the reason that putting your DVD or any other electronics on the shelf is not a good idea. Off to the side is okay. As the other poster said, you can run wires through the walls to where your equipment is. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here