Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerardo_g

Newbie question: best way to use a fireplace bellows?

Gerardo_G
12 years ago

I'm an origami creator and my current project is to invent a paper fireplace bellows that actually works! It won't work as well as a traditional wood and leather bellows but it'll do the trick.

I live in a city were fireplaces are very uncommon; you can find some but they're just not that common. So I really don't know that much about how to use a fireplace bellows. But I still want to try it out and make a video of it working.

So I'm curious about what's the best way to use a traditional fireplace bellows: very fast consecutive strokes? Slow frequent strokes? Make a pause between each stroke? And how do I position the bellows in reference to the firewood?

They're probably silly questions but I really wanna do it right, specially for the video ; )

Comments (2)

• mxyplx
    12 years ago

No rule on frequency of strokes. You can tell by how the fire is responding just what to do and that depends sort of on if you are starting a new fire or trying to save one. Or on your general level of desperation. :-) The size of the bellows also will dictate the frequency. After your 3rd fire you will be an expert.

Generally a bigger bellows is better because you can deliver a long even blast simulating yourself blowing on the fire. I happen to at present have a real small bellows which translates to more strokes.

Time yourself blowing out a good long breath and try to make a bellows big enough to approximate that timing.

For best effectiveness try to brace the nozzle on something to hold it still while you pump so you can keep it aimed directly on whatever spot (or each spot) you choose.

• Gerardo_G
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had no idea someone had answered my old question. I hope it's not too late to say "thanks mypix" ; )

If anyone is interested you can check out my origami fireplace bellows in the link.

Comments are welcome : )

Here is a link that might be useful: ORIGAMI FIREPLACE BELLOWS