Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lennox side vented gas fireplace odd smell

Posted by flseadog (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 3, 10 at 8:58

Happy New Year, everyone! We live in central Florida and have a new Lennox gas fireplace in our greatroom. The last two mornings when we used it for the first time just to take the chill off we noticed an odor after a few minutes. It isn't a gas smell and it doesn't smell bad or as if something is burning. It's just that the house seems to smell different. The fireplace is vented out the side wall of the house and the outside part of the vent feels hot to the touch and the exhaust coming out of it smells the same as the slight odor in the house. Does anyone out there know what this means for our indoor air quality? Could there be something wrong with how the fireplace is vented? Does this sound dangerous? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lennox side vented gas fireplace odd smell

If I understand you correctly this is the first time you have used the fireplace. If that is indeed the case, it is normal. You have to expect some odor with all heating units as they will need to "burn off" some of the surface finish on inside parts used in manufacturing. It will go away soon. I will bet that if you check your owners manual, they mention that. Mine certainly did.

o
RE: Lennox side vented gas fireplace odd smell

Thanks, pnw jan. Sadly, I'm always a case of "when all else fails, read the instructions." I never thought of that although I know that's what I had to do with my new oven. We've been out of town but I'll check the manual as soon as I get back. Thanks, again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here