Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I have a wood AND gas buring fireplace together?

Posted by happyanca (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 21, 12 at 8:54

Hi. I am about to remodel my house and I thought that this would be a great time to see if it's possible to keep my wood burning fireplace BUT to also somehow add the option of just using it as a gas fireplace when we are too lazy to put real wood in there.

Oh, and I don't want an insert. Right now the inside of my fireplace is painted brick and I would like to keep it that way, or similar.

Is this possible?

Please help and thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I have a wood AND gas buring fireplace together?

Yes, I had that at my last house

o

Sounds like you are talking about a gas log set. These units fit into a wood fireplace. You cannot however switch back and forth between wood and gas. It is one or the other, but it allows to to convert a wood fireplace to gas without putting in an insert.

o

You sure can.. My daughter has it in her home....... They love it....

o

You mean you can light it as a gas log set one day and then another day put logs on there and they burn, create ash, and can be cleaned? I am confused!

o

Not really a possibility to switch back and forth. You are able to take a wood burning fireplace and install a gas log set, but you cannot and should not at any time attempt to burn real wood in it after installing a gas log set. For the simplest reason, a gas log set has a gas line run to it. You don't want to have undirected fire near a gas line. In other technical issues, you have to fix the damper open on the fireplace to use a gas log set, which creates a pretty big draft, and will exhaust quite a bit of your heated room air when the unit is not in operation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here