Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drafty Fireplace

Posted by blakeas (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 9, 10 at 8:28

I have a home built in 1986 in Atlanta, GA.

It is a gas starter fireplace in which in can burn real logs. There are no gas ceramic logs.

Well here in the winter cold air pours out of the thing. Last year I installed glass doors but air still comes out into the family room.

The flue is closed but is there anything I can do about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drafty Fireplace

I have the same issue. I don't think there is a control for a flue for me though as it's only gas and not wood capable. The fireplace is a heatilator. I feel the cold air rushing in all the time.

o

I hear ya.

o

We have the same problem with our glass doors. My solution, although not attractive, was to cover the opening/glass doors with a towel and electrical tape. It helps a lot and I just remove it when we're having company. Have you hear about a fireplace balloon? It looks like an interesting product.

http://www.amazon.com/Fireplace-Chimney-Balloon-Large-Pillow/dp/B0001HA8MC

o

Nice idea, but is it UCL (and in Canada CSA) approved?

Seems counter intuitive to stick flammable material up a chimney. I suppose it'd be OK if there is only one flue and only one fireplace. But if the fireplace flue hooks up to a chimney where there are other flues, for example the central heating or another fireplace, then I think this type of gadget could cause more problems than it could solve.

Just a thought.

o

We put a few of these chimney balloons in fireplaces that we don't use much. These 2 fireplaces use the same chimney structure but have separate flues. In my dealing with building codes that is the way they are suppose to be. You cant have two devices sharing one flue. (i.e. water heater sharing fireplace flue) at least you shouldn't have this type of setup anyway or it could backdraft fumes into the house.

The idea with the balloon was to stop the cold like what you guys are talking about, and they did that. The direction said if you light a fire under the balloon on accident, it will pop and fall out.

We did have these flues stuffed with fiberglass but that didn't work well to seal them because they were still cold with fiberglass in there.

Here is a link that might be useful: chimney balloon damper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here