Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjh53

Insert: Brand new or like new?

sjh53
11 years ago

After 32 years of supplying our main heat source, our Buck insert needs to be replaced. The Buck has saved us a small fortune over the years limiting our use of propane. It burns continuously all winter long. Several years ago our first son-in-law warned our about to be son-in-law that he too would be wearing shorts to Thanksgiving dinner, referring to my husband's tendency to overload the stove!
I thought I wanted a flush mount Lopi, loving the more attractive look, but for a $3000 price tag, I've crossed it off the list. While I am researching stoves, our chimney sweep has contacted us to let us know he had a Hawke insert he removed from the home of an older woman. The stove looks as if it has barely been used; the labels are still attached to the sides. It is an older stove, probably at least 20 years, so we expect it would burn similar to our Buck. The Hawke even looks like the Buck. Including installation, this insert would cost $1100. So, do we go for this older barely used stove, or pay more and install a newer design?