Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchennewbie2009

Help! Suggestions for a fireplace insert for a newbie

kitchennewbie2009
14 years ago

I just found this forum and would love to get anyone's advice regarding getting a fireplace insert. We have a big family room in our 2 story 1960 house. It's about 2000 sq foot house. The room is big but enclosed. It's also the coldest room in the house b/c of the fireplace big windows. I didn't realize that fireplaces were so inefficient in heating the room. I had looked into changing the fireplace into a gas fireplace but the contractor said that it would be a lot of work b/c of getting the gas line there. So now I am looking to make the fireplace more efficient when we use it. I also want to prevent so much cold draft from it.

I am looking for something that I can use so that when we burn the wood (which is so nice to look at) that it also heats the room. I have heard of blowers and inserts. Which is better? My DH and I are totally not handy so we would have to hire someone to put these in. I am hoping for something that isn't too expensive but would invest in it if it's really worth it. I would love to heat the whole house if possible.

I've done so much to keep heat in the house. We've replaced all the windows and put insulation in the attic but anything that can help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment (1)