Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me to seal air/heat leak through fireplace

Posted by hummingbird2013 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 1:56

I recently rented a house with a fireplace that has no door enclosure. I noticed that a lot cold air is flowing down through the chimney and out from the fireplace. I took some photos and apparently there is a huge gap.

Is there any way I can close this gap to prevent heat loss? I've never lived in a place with a fireplace before so I don't know if there is a mechanism in place to close the gap. I see there is a single curving bar. I tried to tug at it but the bar wasn't budging. Perhaps it is fixed in place I'm not sure. I'm including some photos in hope someone knowledgeable with fireplaces could offer some advices. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me to seal air/heat leak through fireplace

That immovable bar is the damper control arm. It is used to control the draught when a fire is lit. Use some penetrating oil to try and free it. Hold on a second, write a note to your landlord and give him a call explaining the problem. Someone is losing hard earned money on wasted heat. As well if you snap the thing off trying to free it you are responsible for the repair, that will be expensive.

If you are not intending on using the fireplace, without an insert or even a door I would not, stuff some Roxul insulation in the gap while you wait for the landlord to remedy the situation. The Roxul is only a temporary fix.

o
RE: Help me to seal air/heat leak through fireplace

SouthernCanuck, thank you for your reply and good advices. I will try to reason with the owner. Hopefully they'll be willing to help closing the gap. Otherwise, I would be stuck with a large heating bill or risk being liable for a potentially costly repair.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here