Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlo1_gw

Scandinavian airtight stove...

mlo1
17 years ago

Does this term refer to a style of airtight stove, developed in that country?

Does anyway have any knowledge of using one, or if they compete with some of the more known brands?

Comments (6)

• mlo1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I cannot find anything thing seperates them by design, really. Seems to be a styling more than anything that is different.

• jayh
    17 years ago

Well, all your wood stoves that are heating appliances are considered airtight stove. Scandinavian is probably in design and the trim/outfitting.

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9069856/stove

Jotul is Norwegian but they aren't anything majorly different between their main product line and any other wood stove mfgr, at least these days. Historically, there sure are probably different paths each region/country took to design the modern airtight stove, but you can probably neglect the nuances and regional differences these days.

Jay

• sootfoot5_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I don't know a lot about them, but no, there is difference in design than regular fireplaces. One of the main differences has to do with what they are made of. They are often made of soapstone which holds the heat better. Also, the way they are designed they are meant to heat any room the chimney goes through. I've seen pictures of some where the chimney went straight to the ceiling, as you would expect, and then turned and went flat across the ceiling so as to heat the rooms upstairs. True Scandinavian fireplaces aren't just decorative - they are meant to truly heat your home. Now you know everything I know!

• mainegrower
    15 years ago

There are several brands of woodstoves - Jotul from Norway, Lange from Denmark, for example - that originated in Scandinavia and are "airtight" cast iron stoves.

If by chance you're asking about the brand Scandia, however:These were cheap Taiwanese copies of Jotul and other stoves which began to appear in the 70's and early 80's. They were the subject of a protracted lawsuit brought by Jotul which finally eliminated them. They were generally poorly made with inferior fit and finish and low quality iron castings. Many people bought and used them because of their low price, so many of them are still avaiable on the used stove market.

The heaters Leslie refers to are massive, built in place masonry heaters. They are sometimes referred to as Finnish or Russian fireplaces, but they are not wood stoves.

• nhyankee
    15 years ago

Seeing that this thread is over two years old it probably won't make much difference but I'll chime in.

During the energy crises of the 1970's, particularly the late 70's, there were a number of stoves imported from northern Europe and as mainegrower noted there were a bunch of brands, Jotul, Morso, Trolla, Lange, etc. The primary distinguishing feature of these cast iron stoves was their rather elongated shoebox style shape and a usually a steel baffle with air controls near a gasketed door. This allowed the wood to burn front to back which is why they were often referred to as 'cigar burning'. With some partial secondary combustion under the baffle and at the front of the stove, they were a bit more efficient, with the cigar burn they were a bit more easily controlled and a bit longer burning than other stoves at that time.

I would stay away from any stove that uses the word 'airtight' since it's likely an older stove. Jotul and Morso still make stoves for the North American market but they are EPA rated much cleaner burning stoves.

• migomoose
    12 years ago

I had a scandinavian design fireplace and looking for same. this was manufactured by either Montgomery wards or sears off a scandinavian design. It had a round bottom, about 45 inches ...with a cone shaped top.. about 45 inches tall to the chimney...and curved doors for adding wood. At the back interior of it..there were plates which depicted scandinavian scenes and also helped shield the heat. Anyone seen a fireplace like this.. I got my original one in Montana..

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks