SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnny_gw

Medical Bill Advice?

sunnny
15 years ago

I'm new this area of GW and just recently started reading this forum. My story is this: Several years ago I was hit by a nearly drunk driver (would have been arrested had it been ONE week later when the legal alcohol limit went down) He passed in a no passing zone and hit me so hard it shot the tire off the axil. He had $20,000 insurance which was gone the first night and my hospital bills at discharge were over $250,000 and rose to somewhere around $500,000 or more. He hit me at 90mph and our combined speed was over 120mph. I sustained several life threatening injuries and a head injury which I've over come. My personal health inurance now covers a portion of my bills but each time I had or still need to go to the Doctor or need medications, etc it costs me and I will be paying for this for the rest of my life. I spent 2 weeks in ICU then a month on the regular floor then 6 month of rehab learning to walk and do the daily things in life.

I've negotiated with the hospital to pay many of the bills at a lower agreed on rate but is there anything else I can do? It is totally ovewhelming at times. I get several medical bills EVERY DAY even now. I need to save for my daughters college and have dreams of better things in life for me and my family but with these bills hanging over our heads there's times it seems out of reach. How can someone ever get ahead with a debt of now $400,000??? What is so sad is that I now work as a nurse in a trauma office and see patients every day who don't even pay their bills or have no inurance and can't pay but since I have a job and have a strong belief in paying my debts I continue to pay $25.00 here and there to everyone. It's who is hounding me the most that gets paid that day.

In the past we have not lived on a budget but last year we began a simple one which helped and our plans are to do an even better job this coming year. My hubbie makes fair income ($80,000) and I work part time as a nurse. I don't make much money but physically it would be difficult for me to work full time. I have some permanent injuries but am not ready to file for disability since I am able to work.

Do you have any sugestions or ideas as to how to pay these or ways to not pay them but still be able to sleep at night? There are days I handle the burden very well but days like today - Christmas - I realize we could be doing much better if it weren't for the tradegy caused by someone else and these days I have a harder time. We hired an attorney after the accident but the man who hit me owned nothing so there was nothing to sue him for. Our underinsured auto insurance paid us a small cash amount which of course went mostly to bills and I started an IRA (very small one) and a college fund for my daughter with the rest. Where do I go from here? How can I ever see day light??

What credit cards we had we no longer use unless it's an absolute necessity. We had several home repairs hit us last year - the AC went out in August, Ike hit us hard and we had to pay the deductable for home repairs, a hail storm tore up my fence and shed and roof so another deductable and had 2 cars broken into 2 different times causing us to pay the deductable each time and we ran out of anything saved up) but otherwise try not to use credit cards at all. My daughter is 16 and although she can work she helps me ALOT at home when I'm not feeling well or having a hard day. She makes very good grades and is a wonderful girl. She has a horse and barrel races which I'm hoping will help her with scholarships and hopefully she won't have to work right now. I'm VERY blessed to have her.

OK... so a long story but would love some input or suggestions as to what I can do if anything to help my situation.

Thank you so much,

Sunny

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions