Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
credit report

Posted by bugg30 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 6, 05 at 21:52

Hi, I have been working hard at repairing my credit from some late payments on credit cards. I also want to buy a house next year. I have never checked out my credit report and want to check to see what my score is. However, I want to compare the score now and compare it to a year from now when I am ready to buy a house. If I pull my report now and then a little under a year from now does checking it twice in a year go against my score?? Is there a way to check it but avoid any negative marks?? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: credit report

Since you live in Minnesota, you are entitled to one free copy of your credit report each year. You will not be charged or nicked on your credit score for this. Look at the link below.

This applies to other states and eventually will apply to every U.S. state.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to free credit reports

o

Thanks for the info Steve. If I pull my credit report now and then again in 8 months or so, will that second time have a negative affect on my credit?

o

You're welcome. I'm not a credit counselor, so I'm not the expert here. But if you're working to "repair your credit," I think creditors will have bigger concerns than whether you pulled two copies of your credit report within one year. I wouldn't sweat that part of it.

o

if YOU pull your credit it does not count against you. If you apply for a credit card or a loan and THEY pull it, then it does count against you, though only slightly.

your free credit reports do not give you the credit score, they list everything on your credit except the score. you have to pay about 9 bucks or so for the score.

the link below is for access to your report from all 3 agencies. you can pull all 3 now, or 1 at a time over the next year. you are only allowed 1 report from each agency per year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free credit reports with no card required

o

Pulling your own report shouldn't have a negative consequence, but if companies pull it for credit check, that counts against you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here