Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To buy or not to buy

Posted by minigreenhouse (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 1, 06 at 17:46

I work for a state agency, does anyone know whether or not it is a good idea or not to purchase previous service credit. I am eigible to purchase up to 6 year of previous credit which will cost $23,000.

Without purchase those service credit, I will have 16 years of service credit. With the purchase I will have 22.5 years of service.

I plan to retire at age of 55 which will qualify me for 25 years of service credit if I purchase those years. In addition, I will be able to start withdrawing pension.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To buy or not to buy

There are too many unknowns here to answer your question responsibly. You don't say how your pension system works, whether there are cost of living increases and of what size, how much your pension will be with and without the increased credit, what you would do with the $23,000 if you didn't buy the credits, and how long you're planning on living! I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but just trying to explain you either need to run the numbers for yourself, or find someone (personnel office, your accountant, etc.) who can do it for you.
In general, government agency programs to allow buying retirement credits are usually a good deal, but, without any numbers specific to your situation, it's impossible to say whether that's true for you.

o

Agree with Kudzu - need more info. In adddition to Kudzu's questons:

How does the pension work - a multiplier of years of service? 1%?, 1.5%? 2.0%? What is the salary multiplier?

Is there any chance you'd keep working and hit a max and not need that credit?

Can you decide later whether to buy the credit? Your situation may be clearer as you get closer to 55.

Lots of civil servants grapple with this, and federal, state and municipal programs vary greatly. The long term monster issues are healthcare costs, inflation, and the viability of Social Security.

o

Just to give you another viewpoint---I had the opportunity 25 years ago to purchase service credits on my teachers pension, because I transferred from another state. Instead of doing it--we took the $15,000 and bought a house which we rented out in Redondo beach, california. So instead of getting the extra few hundred or whatever it would have been on a monthly basis, I get to own real estate which we have traded up over the years. It has gone up in value (to put it mildly)
My point is--it depends on what you would do with the money if you didn't buy the credits. As it turns out I switched fields anyway, and now get the pension even though I am still working. Something to think about.

o
Rental accounting software

Just wondering what accounting software to purchase with 5-6 owner managed rental units? I must add that I am pretty good with Excel, should I create the worksheet myself?

Any info would be appreciated.

o

marge727, I also own a rental unit in Redondo Beach. Appreciation is great, sounds like you made a good move. Is rental income popular with teachers? I'm thinking of teachers that own rentals in Hermosa and Manhattan. Good supplemental income.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here