Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas Expense Split-What's Considered Fair?

Posted by balloon (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 17:20

We will be traveling by car - sister, hubby, 15 year old son and me. I'm thinking if we take my car, gas should be split two ways (1) sister, 2) hubby and me). If we take my sister's car, gas should be split 3 ways (1) sister, 2)hubby, 3)me). Does this sound fair?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas Expense Split-What's Considered Fair?

Nope, not fair at all.
Whoever is supplying the car should not pay for gas.

And the 15 year old should be factored in.... after all, he is traveling too!

o

Split by who might take an extra car. Son belongs to whom? If your sister were not riding with you, would she be driving herself?

If this is you and your husband and son, and your sister is catching a ride with you, it would be nice if she contributes a little (how far is the trip?), but you're going anyway, right? I wouldn't insist only anything myself, but if it makes or breaks the budget, that's different. Go by halves.

o

Thanks for the feedback.

Son belongs to hubby and me. Trip is a 7 hour drive-kind of a last minute get-away for sister; planned trip for my son, husband and me. Sister would not take the trip by car if she were to go alone.

o

Unless your sister is a world-class moocher, don't worry about it. You're going anyway, right? Is she making other demands about route, times, accommodations, etc? If not, consider that she's along for the good company.

Yes, in a perfect world, she could offer to pay part of the gas. In reality, this is the holiday season, just go and enjoy the trip. Maybe she'll buy lunch along the way. Maybe she's planning a special gift for you. If not, will this be a major bone of contention?

Have a good time and don't stress the small stuff. Yeah, she could offer to toss some money into the pot.

o

Whoever is supplying the car should not pay for gas.
I would never expect anyone to pay for all the gas when I drive, and likewise wouldn't want to foot the total gas bill for someone else to maybe drive their gas hog.

I'm thinking if we take my car, gas should be split two ways (1) sister, 2) hubby and me). If we take my sister's car, gas should be split 3 ways (1) sister, 2)hubby, 3)me). Does this sound fair?
I think that sounds quite fair.

Have fun!

Sue

o

If you're going anyway, I would NOT charge sister for gas. If she's a decent person, she'll probably OFFER to pay for some of the gas, tolls, and maybe treat you to dinner for doing the driving. But who charges family? Sorry, that's just not in my experience.

And we've done a lot of trips like that--our car, DH and I and our daughter with my Dsis tagging along. Wouldn't think of charging her--it was nice that she came along, we enjoyed her company and loved having an extra adult when we were going to amusement parks to divide up who DD dragged onto the rides with her, LOL.

Now, on the other hand, if your sister takes her car, to drive you on a trip you were taking anyway, you and your husband should definitely offer to pay 100% of the gas and tolls.

o

If sister's car, you pay for gas.
If your car, sister gets a free ride.

o

I agree. If you had this trip planned, then invited her don't even mention money to her. She is a guest.

o

If you insist on splitting it, split it in half.

o

"I agree. If you had this trip planned, then invited her don't even mention money to her. She is a guest." agree emma.

My brother told me I need to pay for tolls next time we went to the lawyer(he's co-exec not me). He is always niggardly figuring things out and this is why I choose to avoid him. I did not pay the tolls/gas just because I was annoyed by his comment. On the way back I picked up coffee cake, rolls etc for my home. He called his wife and asked her should he save her 1/2 of his sandwich that he was eating. I did not buy him anything, I refuse to be generous with people who want to charge their siblings for tolls and who constantly whinge about money, money, money. I Thank the great spirit I followed Mom's lead.

o

balloon-I forgot to say I am not implying that in this circumstance you are anything like my DB, no one is like him, except my other DB :)

o

There is really no "fairness" or ettiquette in this situation. I give rides to relatives (SILs) all the time and never expect money. They give me free food when I visit their homes. If someone gives me a ride, I'll hand them a $5 bill and say "I know gas is expensive. Please take this." No one gives it back. I know, I'm the perfect date. A boy once told me so ""You don't eat much. You don't talk a lot. You're the perfect date." P.S. We did not get married.

o

I wrote a response a week ago but noticed it didn't go through...maybe I left a step out. Anyway, I appreciate all of your feedback. Judging from the variety of feedback, I guess you could say it depends on the individuals, the relationship btwn the individuals, etc. to determine what's fair. We ended up splitting 3 ways. Worked out well. BTW, my sister was not "my" guest. She received the same invitation from our host a month prior to the trip. She decided to take him up on the offer at the last minute.

o

Sounds fair to me.

It seems a bit much for the "rider" to pay for all of the gas ...

... and I figger that when I ride, it's fair to help pay for the gas.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here