SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_mt

Intro and Spending/Budget Catagories

jamie_mt
15 years ago

Greetings, all.

One of my resolutions for the new year (that I'm starting early) is to get my finances down "on paper" (figuratively - electronic "paper"). I've been doing a fairly decent job of keeping track month-to-month just in my head (even paid a few things off last year), but I would like to track my spending habits and budgets, so that I can really fine-tune the paying off of debts and building up savings. I need to work in some savings for "pet insurance" as well...a fact which was driven home this month after several hundred dollars worth of unexpected vet bills had to be paid (leaving me with double utility bills next month). Hindsight is 20/20, and I'm determined to be better prepared if/when something like that happens again.

We bought Quicken last summer...and I played with it a little, but never really got it set up correctly, or developed the habit of keeping entries current. I'll admit to being lazy when it comes to bookkeeping. I still think the Quicken program will work great for us, but I downloaded the trial version of "Pocket Quicken" this week for my PDA, and I think that's going to be the key in keeping things updated, since I will be able to make quick entries on that, and can sync them to the desktop later.

So I'm trying to set up categories for the budget/expenses. Quicken lets you do main categories, and sub-categories, and this is what I have so far:

Household (main)

Groceries (sub)

Hair/Body (sub)

Pets (main)

Dog food/supplements (sub)

Medical/Vet (sub)

Prescriptions (sub)

Vehicles (main)

Gas (sub)

Maintenance (sub)

I know I need to add a category under household for "cleaning supplies", and add categories for entertainment, etc...but I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in sharing your budgeting categories? I know they will be different for everyone, but I thought maybe if I see how others break things down, it will remind me of things I need to add to mine (if that makes any sense).

Or barring that, does anyone have any recommendations for books/sites I should check out for similar information?

Thanks for any comments/contributions...I'm actually really looking forward to getting our finances more streamlined and organized. :-)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert
More Discussions