SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcm55

homeowners insurance (long)

jcm55
17 years ago

We're just finishing up building a new home in Oakland, CA -- probably just a week or two away from final inspection now (yay!). Our current homeowners policy is with Farmers, and I have to say, I'm not real happy with it. The premium is $1840/year, even with a $5000 deductible. It provides no "extended replacement cost" coverage, and it has some exclusions in the area of water damage that seem out-of-the-norm.

The only reason we're with Farmers in the first place is that they're the *only* company I could find who would write a course of construction policy for us. Our home is on a slope greater than 40%, and I guess most companies' underwriting guidelines won't allow course of contruction policies on slopes that steep. I renewed the policy with Farmers last month because we weren't quite done with construction, and no one else would start a regular homeowners policy until we have a certificate of occupancy.

I'm getting ready to cancel the expensive Farmers policy as soon as we pass final inspection, but am still having a hard time finding companies that want to write a policy for us. Most companies tell me they can't write a policy because of the slope, or because we're in a "California brush area."

After a lot of research, I've only found two other options. One is Encompass, which is a company that Allstate uses so that independent agents can sell Allstate policies without looking like they're competing with Allstate's own agents. They're quoting $1683/yr with a $1000 deductible, and a "Property Location Limit" feature that allows a combined limit for home, contents, and other structures, rather than separate limits for each. That's a nice feature I think, but I've read some pretty terrible reviews of Allstate and people's experience with them, so I'm a little wary.

The other option I've found is Amco Insurance (a Nationwide company). They're quoting $1189/year with $1000 ded. and 150% extended replacement cost coverage. That seems like a great deal. However, they want us to clear all brush to at least 50 feet from our house. Unfortunately, most of the house is much less than 50 from our back lot line. The property on the other side is regional park district, so the brush isn't ours to clear. Even if it was, I'm not sure it's a great idea to remove it because it's providing a lot of protection from erosion. I mentioned this to the agent, and he suggested we could "take our chances" that Amco wouldn't cancel the policy if they decide to do an inspection and see that the brush isn't cleared to 50 feet.

I guess I'm looking for thoughts, suggestions, comments on all this. Also, if you have a home in a California brush area on a steep slope, who are you using for homeowners insurance? :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions