SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

How to make a dollar saved on a purchase work for you twice

joyfulguy
17 years ago

Suppose you bought a car privately, from a friend, maybe a senior who babied it and trades every three years or so ...

... you saved a substantial amount of money.

You can choose to spend it on something else - in which case it works for you once.

Or ...

... how about investing it, looking toward early retirement?

There are arguments to be made for each method of investing in a tax-deferred plan, or a system that's not tax deferred, in a number of cases, I think.

To obtain a rough estimate of what value it may grow to, estimate the rate of annual return on your projected investment, then deduct the percentage of your marginal tax rate on that class of income, for non-tax-deferred plans. For example, if you can invest at 6% projected rate of return and you are in 25% income tax bracket on that kind of income, your effective rate of return should be calculated as 4.5%.

If you like to invest where the amount of your principal is guaranteed, you'd better deduct your projected rate of inflation, as well.

Actually, for long-term investment, I prefer to invest in equities, and I follow that concept even now when I'm past 70, as I don't plan to use up a substantial portion of my assets in the next 10 years.

As I plan to have the equity investments grow in value faster than inflation, I don't feel the need to deduct the amount of estimated inflation from my current income, as the folks who invest their assets in guaranteed dollars need to do.

Also, I prefer to buy the equities directly, rather than pay some fund manager 15 - 20% (more, in Canada) of the annual growth that my money produces.

I've spent a substantial amount of time and money learning about the ins and outs of money management. (Much of the gist of which I offer to you for free, by the way).

But ordinary folks who want to learn can, over a period, learn enough to enable them to become the effective managers of their own assets. And they can pay themselves well for doing it.

A simple rule about money is the rule of 72.

Divide the number of percentage rate of growth of your asset in 72, and the result is the number of years that it will take for your money to double, e.g. if you can develop 6%, it will take 12 years, so if you can leave it invested for 36 years, $1,000. will double 3 times, i.e. to $2,000., $4,000., then $8,000.

If you can grow your money at 8%, it will double in 9 years, so will double 4 times, making your current investment of $1,000. grow to $16,000.

Some difference, huh?

If you're Canadian and buy Canadian stocks, dividends which they pay you are taxed at a much lower rate than are either employment income, the resultant pension, or interest, all of which are taxed at or near top rate.

Learning how money works - an interesting hobby ... and usually you can pay yourself well for pursuing it.

Have a marvellous weekend, everyone - when you're retired, every day is weekend. Don't have to take crap from bosses, work colleagues, etc., either. No more commute. And live where you please - just tell your pension carrier or stockbroker into which financial institution to deposit your regular benefits!

Can you beat that?

ole joyful

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions