Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELOC low now -- pay extra or hoard cash?

Posted by flyleft (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 14, 08 at 15:16

We have a HELOC that's at very favorable rates (prime minus .75) and I'm wondering what folks on this list thing: should we be taking advantage of the lower rate to pay down the capital and raise the equity in our home? Or should we take advantage of the lower rate to make lower payments and keep available cash around? We have a cushion, although it's not as cushy as it was about two months ago...TIA for any thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELOC low now -- pay extra or hoard cash?

Hi Flyleft,

should we be taking advantage of the lower rate to pay down the capital and raise the equity in our home?

?????? HUH????????

How can you take advantage of a lower HELOC rate (supposedly by drawing on it,) AND SIMULTANEOUSLY increase the equity accrued in the real estate value of your portfolio?

When you draw on the HELOC, you are transferring equity from your real estate OUTWARDS to some other account... no?

Or should we take advantage of the lower rate to make lower payments and keep available cash around?

If you are the financially mature type, I am a big proponent of optimizing your liquidity and keeping your equity value more safely seperated from your illiquid assets (especially real estate.)

Prime is currently at 4.0%... and as wild as it sounds, many are predicting the Fed to drop it again as much as an additonal THREE QUARTERS OF A POINT this coming week... to 3.25%.

After your 3/4 slice-away, you're pre-tax costs of leverage on that HELOC will be just 2.5%.

If you combined federal & state marginal tax bracket is, say, 25%... that would make your post-tax cost of marginal leverage just 1.875%

Even if looked at as the insurance costs of cash-on-hand, that is a very low premium for safety.

Luck,
Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner

o

Um, no, I didn't mean by drawing on it.

Wrong assumption.

Thanks for all the question marks, though. Made your reply pretty much unreadable for all the aggression.

o

That wasn't aggression, that was very sincere confusion.

Thanks for adding absolutely no clarity to your previous muddle.

Dave

o

Wow, guess this is one of those Gweb fora that deserves its reputation. This forum really isn't as friendly as others here, is it?

You know, there are other more polite (or should I say "polite" full stop) ways to ask for clarification besides the way you posted, but since you seem to think that your reply was appropriate, I'll just leave and find a place where people really do know how to show common courtesy to each other.

o

Wow. I fail to see what was rude or aggressive about Dave's post. I see confusion, but that's it -- and then he went on to helpfully explain several other things in his post. Gosh darn, that's so rude of him!!

So far, the only not showing common courtesy seems to be you, flyleft.

o

Dave is always helpful and surely never intends rudeness...
Sorry you were offended, it's easy to interpret incorrectly, but he know what he is talking about.
Why don't you try again without the attitude?

o

Dave's a helpful, courteous guy ... has a good deal of useful knowledge, that he freely shares.

I didn't think his reply out of line ... and was surprised to hear the response.

Also - please cut Dave some slack - his kid just died in its crib a couple of weeks ago.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here