SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steamer67

Couples & Finances

Steamer67
13 years ago

After a little more than a year of dating, my girlfriend and I are planning on moving in together in a couple of months. We'll be moving into my home and I was wondering how couples go about handling their finances? I'm 43 and she is 35. Neither of us have any children. We both have steady employment - she earns about 65k and I earn around 100k. I put a substantial amount of money down on my home (about 60%) in 2007 so my mortgage payments are quite low and very manageable for me. I would rather not have her contribute to the mortgage since the house is currently in my name. I was going to suggest we split all of the utilities, property taxes, cable/internet, insurance and that she chip in an extra $100/month to go towards wear and tear. I was also going to suggest that we open up a joint account that will be used for all groceries and small household items (ie cleaning/office supplies, light bulbs etc). We would both fund this equally each month. How does all of this sound? I do plan on marrying this girl someday so how should things change financially once that happens? Can anyone point me to some good resource where I can get more information?

Thanks.

Comments (39)

Sponsored
More Discussions