Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Property Tax Deduction Question

Posted by NebrJewel (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 26, 03 at 14:24

I need some help. Our property tax is not actually due until April 30. If I pay it by Dec 31, we can deduct it from our income tax. However, if I pay the taxes, then I can't pay some other bills and then I'll have to pay interest on those bills. Is there some kind of calculation I can use to figure out what would benefit me most - pay property tax or pay bills? Oh on another note, I am reasonably sure that our income this year will be higher than it will be next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Property Tax Deduction Question

I assume that if you pay it prior to Dec 31 you can deduct it from this year's taxable income, and if you pay it next year, you'll deduct it next year.

So the difference is the possible savings in the year interim vs., ordinarily, the return that you could have got on the money.

In your case, however, less the costs involved in deferring paying the other bills in the meantime.

Adjusted for what different tax rate that you may have to pay on the highest taxed dollars of your taxable income, next year, if different from the rate this year.

Would it make more sense to borrow some at the bank to pay the other bills, if the difference in cost would be marked? If only minimal, probably not worth the bother - unless you want to build a solid credit history, lacking one at present. Though, if you're farming, I think that building a credit history will not be a concern!

Also - how long before you may be able to pay off the other bills (and what new unpaid bills may you have rung up in the meantime)?

Hope you are able to figure which is best.

Good wishes for the New Year.

joyful guy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here