Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new car price

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 27, 11 at 13:53

yes, cars are major expenses. to buy and to fix. friend had very nice 99 accord lx V6 leather low miles. sold it for 5k. too low in my mind. he got a new 2012 accord ex-l V6 leather for 30k. looks pretty similar sitting in garage. he is happy though. wife traded in 04 nice altima. got an 08 infiniti G35 sedan. paid 20k but its worth 30k in my opinion. it looks spotless. so they went from having 10k in cars to having 60k in cars. both new cars are not a whole lot more or nicer than old cars. guess you do what makes you happy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new car price

"guess you do what makes you happy."

Why not.. if they can afford it!

o

You base prices on what you "think" "in "your mind". I'm sure that your friend probably consulted a number of car price bases before making his deals. Next time he sells, ask to buy his used car for what YOU think it's worth....

o

There really aren't all that many households that can legitimately afford 60k in vehicles. Lots of people spend that much or more though.

With few exceptions, cars lose value each year. Since the median net worth in the US is round 80k, 60k in cars would mean that almost everything they own in life is tied to some cars that are going to rapidly age and become worthless. If you have a couple million in the bank, loosing 60k every 5-10 years might be a reasonable expense, but for most people that is just a ticket to the poor house.

o

both new cars are not a whole lot more or nicer than old cars. guess you do what makes you happy.
I have an 'older' Jeep (93) Cherokee Country with a lot of miles on it (maybe 234,000) and have recently started to look for a newer Jeep that has what I want (leather) and not a lot of stuff I don't want that will just break down. I've kept it up, and never had any serious problems with my Jeep, and really like how it looks and performs, though the paint is 'going' and the carpet is looking bad in places. I'm finding that I can't find anything that makes me happy, at any price. I've found ones that are close but the drawbacks make me unhappy with them....cloth seats, 3rd row seats that just take up space, DVD players, computerized this and computerized that, black, red, or other dark colors I don't want.

What to do...just keep looking and looking until I 'happen' upon something that makes me happy at the right price? In reading reviews on the newer Jeeps, I think I should just keep and be happy with what I have. I just wish it 'looked' better and the paint wasn't getting so bad on it.

o

So Chem - why don't you paint it? Fix it up? Then you'll BE happy. Look at all the people that buy old (antique) cars and rehab them.

o

So Chem - why don't you paint it? Fix it up? Then you'll BE happy
I've thought about it, but think it is just too much $$ to put into a paint job on such an old vehicle, that is far from being an antique or collectible. Wouldn't people think I was nuts? I've not gotten any paint 'estimates' but do know that most 'budget' paint jobs either don't look good or they don't last.

What to do...what to do....keep looking....maybe get part of it painted, ie the front bumper that is chipped so badly, and looks the worst.

I really have no desire for anything newer, but just another Jeep as 'good as' and 'reliable as' my old one, and that it looks better. When I bought this Jeep, back in 1997, I wasn't even in the market for a newer vehicle, but just saw it for sale, in a yard, while out and about. I just really liked it for the start and think it retailed new, even back then for 30K or so.

I think many of us have had some great vehicles over the years and sometimes wished we had kept them. This Jeep is like that to me, along with a couple other vehicles.

Sue

o

"I've not gotten any paint 'estimates' but do know that most 'budget' paint jobs either don't look good or they don't last. "

Nothing "lasts" on a rusted pile of junk, but if you love that pile of junk, even a mediocre paint job can coax years of life out of an old car. If a couple hundred bucks buys you a few more years, that is a great investment.

o

the plan was to sell the old honda and keep the altima. but he really liked the infiniti when they test drove them. so he got the new accord and realized he did not like the altima anymore. he was very close to getting 350z coupe and looked at some g35 coupes but ended up with a sedan. their HH income is 150k. not living check to check.

o

Just because your Jeep isn't a "classic" the traditional sense of the word, doesn't mean you can't have it painted or replace the carpeting. It's your money, right?

o

You don't have to do what "the rest of the world" is doing by going into debt for tens of thousands for a new car (me included) if you really love that car. I've never had a car I was that in love with. Put the money into it and get a good paint job, fix the bumper, do it up right and it'll be like new. (Engine work too) Don't you ever watch any of those TV shows?
A

o

Well, I'll rethink a paint job, and see if maybe I can do something with the carpet myself.

I'd not go into debt to get a newer vehicle, but would pay cash. What scares me though is that often newer models have problems, and there are no 'statistics' for them until a model is several years old.

A friend had a fairly new Blazer, (bought used and out of warranty) and he ended up spending $2000 for towing and the transmission being worked on. That was hard to swallow. It was a common problem for Blazers made that year.

(Engine work too)
11 years ago, I questioned my judgement when I invested a good bit for a new Jasper engine in a 13 year old truck that was in good shape and that I liked. Well, it was a good investment as I still have the truck, still like it, and have had no other unexpected major expenses. It is not driven a lot and is mainly just used for hauling things. I think it will likely 'take me on out'.

o

There's no sure thing when it comes to any mechanical device. The best you can do is go with a brand/model that has a good repair history. Frankly, the best bets come from Japan - Honda, Nissan, and Toyota. Are they all perfect? Of course not, but they average out better than other choices.

o

I'm in the market for another vehicle but am thinking I might want to buy new for the following reason:

"Title washing is used by car owners to 'erase' the vehicle's bad history in order to conceal from the buyer that it had a salvage title because of flood, severe accident or other damage.

The outbreak of title washing incidents was after hurricane Katrina when many car dealers got stuck with excess of flood-damaged vehicles. "

A link that might be useful:

vinnumbercheck.net/title-washing.html

o

Hi (again) Curly,

Here`s an idea.

Buy an electric drill and a wire brush, brush all of the rusty spots down to bare metal, add a bit of body fill to smooth things down, sand to get a really smooth finish, then get a spray bomb of paint from the auto supply.

If you don`t get a good colour match at first, a couple more cans should do the trick, without costing an arm and a leg.

And you can be happy with the job ... and pleased with yourself for a good job, well done.

Oh, and, BTW - maybe you can borrow the drill (and brush) from a relative, friend, etc.

ole joyful

o

Joe (OP) I agree that your neighbors spent way too much money for "happiness." Chances are, they now have huge car payments as well.

While I can understand that many people buy on credit because they have no choice, I can't understand insisting on a new car in that case. Saving up to buy a used car for cash, or even getting a loan if necessary to buy a used car and paying it off ASAP makes more sense to me.

Can't help but wonder how much these people have saved for retirement, etc.

o

Joe, FYI, there are people making $150K a year and more who are living pay check to pay check. A high salary is no guarantee that the person is wise with his/her money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here