Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cash 22 situation

Posted by erps (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 3, 08 at 12:29

What being in a "Cash-22" situation means?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cash 22 situation

ummm... do you mean catch 22?

if so----
Definition:
absurd situation or its cause: a situation or predicament from which it is impossible to extricate yourself because of built-in illogical rules and regulations

Never heard of cash 22.

o

Yes probably. I just googled cash-22 and I couldn't get the point. Thanks.

o

It's also a good book/movie. At least it was a good movie when I originally saw it. ;)

o

When I read the OP's subject line I thought it was an imaginative way of stating the situation where you don't know where to put CASH! LOL There aren't a lot of good options right now. You can't even beat inflation with a CD or Treasury; the market is a continuing mess; and who wants to even mention real estate?

o

Use cash to purchase:

CD/GIC/bond - peanuts for income: below rate of inflation. After-tax (apart from tax-free muni, available only in U.S.) result is *way!* below inflation! Who wants to subsidize the borrower??

Mutual funds - recent heavy drops in price levels, continuing. Manager dines on some of it, annually. Anyone interested in shrinking dollars??

Stocks - pretty well the same game (but there's no fund manager to eat part of the value). Anyone interested in shrinking dollars?

Real estate - the foreclosure rate being what it is ... are prices about to stop dropping any time soon? To say nothing of developing anything resembling an advance!

Gold - purchase, assay, shipping, storage costs ... maybe insurance (if available) ... apply.

Provides no ongoing income.

When you sell ... shipping, assay, brokerage costs apply.

You'd better hope that there's a major advance in price in the meantime!

Take your choice!

All of the above said ... I generally prefer to own stuff myself, rather than lending my money to another entity ...

... which often produces a better return on it for themselves than I get!

ole joyfoul

P.S. Buy pigs! Each mom produces from eight to about a dozen ... maybe more ... per year.

Howja like them apples? (Pigs like apples, too - in fact, they'll eat darn near anything ... they say that farmers in the midwest used to run pigs and cattle together ... and feed the cattle!). Maybe just a rumour!

o j

o

"rather than lending my money to another entity ...

... which often produces a better return on it for themselves than I get! "

I noticed in this mornings news that Bank of Montreal is lending Pilgrim's Pride Corp $365 million to help them through their Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing. At a good rate of return I'm sure.

o

Great idea, O.J. Pigs! A cow! Some chickens! Oh, foo, my suburb has already been through the 'pigs' debate with Mrs. Walgreen; no pigs allowed.

o

Hi turnage,

That " ... good ..." word that you used seems to me to be one of those four-letter kind.

Like in, ""= ... s/he makes 'good' money at her/his job ..." kind of "good", right?

Sort of like, " ... high ... ", maybe?

One thing for sure - if BMO makes it ... they ain't very likely to share much of it with me, a depositor.

o j

o

Hi joyfulguy,

I'm sure Pilgrims is very grateful for BOM's help - the little chickens get to keep eating and lots of people keep working.

I guess when a company goes into Bankruptcy Court, they take the cash at whatever interest rate they can get. But shame on that stingy old bank for not sharing with you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here