SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allieundercover_gw

Home Loan advise? Remodel and Addition

allieundercover
9 years ago

I am looking into a renovation/remodel of my current home. Let me start with some background information.
My house/land are fully paid for and are appraised at $85,000. The house we are in was built in the 87 by my family and has some measure of sentimental value however it was originally built for 2 people and we are bursting at the seams. Additionally the construction work is not professional grade and so there are areas of the house that are wearing out such as the foundation (built on blocks) and electrical.
I have no intention of moving. I was raised in this small community and plan to do the same for our children. We have looked at new construction but would have to factor in the cost of demo on our current house and the cost for that and construction would far exceed a reno/addition.
We are considering a plan that adds a new master bed and bath, an updated kitchen and an additional room so that each child (boy and girl) can have their own room and closet.
Our house is currently 1000 sq feet including an upper loft.
We are looking at closing in the upper loft and adding dormers to create bedroom space upstairs for the kids and expanding the downstairs some to include a master bed/bath and. The additions would be approximately 500 sq feet or less. The renovation portion would allow us to finally tie in to a proper sewer line, restructure the kitchen, and fix the roof and foundation problems. Additionally we currently only use a wood burning stove for heat and a small window unit for cooling so we are adding a central air and heat.
I am working with an architect to design a new space and the current estimate is around $100,000
We have the enough for 15% down although and look at being able to pay the loan off in 10 years.
My question is what type of loan would work best for us? I have placed a call to our local bank and have an appointment with a lender there however I am interested in a second opinion.
Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions