Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reverse mortgages

Posted by paddy_99 (paddyhogan@juno.com) on
Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 12:04

Is there a forum that deals with or has any info concerning reverse mortgages? I did a search and could find nothing of any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reverse mortgages

It's been a topic on GardenWeb -- maybe try 'Buying and Selling Homes' forum?

My concern is that a homeowner be honest with him or herself about being physically able to live in the home for quite a long while. Is staying on THE best idea?

Setting up the reverse mortgage is costly; repairs to an old home may be expensive; and many people end up needing to move in a short time anyway.

o

In the Canadian context, several have suggested that an owner might prefer to avoid the restrictions that are involved with a reverse mortgage (which often add difficulties to the borrower, who is unable to negotiate away from them). It is my understanding that only a few agencies offer them, which allows them to pretty well set the rules as they like.

I don't know what kind of mortgage (if any) that a retiree might be able to negotiate with a regular lending agency.

I'd be more inclined to at least investigate the possibility of negotiating a HELOC, with fewer restrictions, and the owner could draw funds at times and amounts as needed.

One negative aspect might be that the rate on a HELOC is usually variable, I think, which troubles some who prefer certainties.

On the other hand, an accountant friend of mine (fellow member of an investment study group) has borrowed substantial amounts and invested in several unit trusts, which avoid tax on themselves by paying out almost all of their earnings each year, which in a number of cases has been between 10 - 15% ... then my friend, who retired from a supplier of parts to auto manufacturers and lacks a pension, happily pays the 4.75% deductible interest cost that he must pay on the HELOC and uses the rest to live on.

I made a post over on the "Retirement" forum, a topic related to whether one might need to reconsider retirement, where I referred to a few of such unit trusts ... most related largely to western Canadian oil and gas extraction, mainly the tar sands aspect of it, I think.

ole joyful

o

If you haven't learned to Google, you should. Try this site for your starting research, and good luck to you going forward:

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ on reverse mortgages

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here