SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smr1_gw

bad appraisal?

smr1
14 years ago

We had our house appraised several months ago when we took out a home equity loan (to put an addition on our house). At that time our house appraised for $240,000 which is roughly what our county also says it's worth and exactly what the builder doing our addition estimated it was worth prior to the addition, so we were pretty confident that the $240k appraisal was spot-on.

We added almost 1,000 to our house after this appraisal.

Now we are refinancing (combining our mortgage and our equity loan into one loan). The bank ordered an appraisal and we just got that figure back. $220,000. Seriously... how in the world do you ADD 1,000 square feet to a home and have it devalue by $20,000? Obviously the appraisal is jacked up, what can we do about it? I'm irate that we paid $300 for some guy to completely screw up our appraisal. We haven't gotten the actual appraisal back yet, just the number so I don't know exactly how he came to this figure but a realtor we have worked with in the past pulled some comps for us and said that based on recent sales in my area if he were to do a CMA on our house, it would fall between $340,000 and $360,000. BIG difference...

What should we do?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions