SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Comparing home heating by fuel type costs

marys1000
16 years ago

Several years ago I moved from one state in which I'd lived most of my life and where electric heat was considered very expensive and natural gas was dominant, to a state/city where the electric company seemed to bend over backward to keep rates competitive and electric was considered a good/fine way to heat and natural gas was less common. (Both states had fairly severe winters).

Now I'm in a 3rd state and wondering - how do you compare all the different fuel type's cost? Is it impossible since elec is what? milliwats? versus oil which is gallons vs propane which is? cubic? gas is cubic feet according to my bill. Then there are all the charges of which the electric company here has some whopping! ones. How do you figure that in?

I'm currently in an apt and noticed my gas bill go from 6.00 a month to heat water to 22.00 for using the gas fireplace maybe 3 times for a couple of hours. Which made me wonder - how much does gas cost here?

I'm looking at my gas bill and I see loads of info like CCF's by month and average temperature. There is a "Gas Cost Recovery Charge" at 0.932 per CCF and no other per CCF charge so I have to assume that is how much the actual gas costs. A Distribution and Service charge of 12.01 - will that go up if I use more CCF's?

How do you figure that stuff in?

I guess if I found a house I loved, I have to suck up whatever type heating is involved since the market I'm looking in is very limited.

But should I have a choice, or for those who are building, or renovating, or buying in subdivisions with more house and heating variability - how do you compare? Does anyone look at this? Or rely on hearsay?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions