Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's next, save the newspaper industry?

Posted by qdognj (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 8, 08 at 7:29

Have yet to hear from the newspaper industry asking for a bailout/loan..

Tribune Co. considering Chapter 11: WSJ

Miami Herald is up for sale, as are many other publications..

The main problem confronting newspapers and magazines, to a lesser extent,is that people can get their news at a moments notice,either via 24 hour newschannels or the internet...

By the time i get my morning paper,i've read all the important news on the web..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's next, save the newspaper industry?

For many, there's nothing like the tactile pleasure of picking up a newspaper. The Washington Post was a refuge on the Metro before hitting the street on Connecticut and L five days a week. I still get the same feeling when I read our local - and not really stellar - paper with my coffee in the AM. I get the basics of the national and world news with the preponderance being the local news. To full in the blanks nationally and worldwide, I rely on the Nightly News Hour, Nightly Business Report, etc. (I don't have cable) And I also read the Post and several other papers on line. To round things out, I'll scroll through the "Hot Topics" forum where many posters are aware of everything and have no end of opinions to share.

Since papers rely more heavily on advertising revenues than subscriber rolls, they're surely feeling the pinch. I don't know if print media will disappear wholesale, but papers are disappearing in other ways - ours recently became an inch less wide (it IS much easier to handle and fold), some old features disappeared, opinion pages were revamped, sections combined as opposed to appearing separately, a lot of old content reappearing on their web site.

In light of technology, papers might become dinosaurs. I'd like to get through my lifetime without having to see one in a museum though.

o

Add the Hartford Courant to the list of Chapter 11's.

Enjoy the journey.
eal51 in western CT

o

if the papers cease to exist, what will the dog poop on? what will we line our bird cages with? oh no! oh wait, can always use g.m., ford, and chrys. stock cetificates.

o

Hi folks,

For the dog - paper cups, plates, spoons and bags from the food take-out store.

Store flyers are 'for the birds"!

Better upgrade the schools - so the kids can read whatever newspapers survive!

ole joyful

o

I would so hate to not have my paper!!! but I wonder if they will be able to survive the loss of advertising to the internet, like free classified sites such as Craigslist. The internet and TV news just does not allow me to absorb and consider information like reading it in print.

o

qdognj: "The main problem confronting newspapers and magazines, to a lesser extent,is that people can get their news at a moments notice,either via 24 hour newschannels or the internet..."

Yes, but the main source of news on the Internet is from online versions of newspapers. And the online versions are not slef-supporting. If the papers themselves go away, so will the online versions.

This discussion reminds me of the Republican Congressman several years ago who wanted to cut funding for NOAA and the National Weather Service because he said that the private sector performed the job better and cheaper, and he pointed to the success of The Weather Channel, not realizing of course, that The Weather Channel received their information from - - ta da - - the National Weather Service!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here