Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Personal Budget--How Do You Categorize..

Posted by choufleur (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 6, 06 at 21:18

Home Alarm System. Not sure if I should put this under home expense or utility. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Personal Budget--How Do You Categorize..

Flip a coin. :-)

Seriously, it's not like maintaining an alarm system gets you a tax deduction or anything. I guess I'd be more inclined to throw it under Home Expense because most folks (I) can live without an alarm system. I couldn't go that long without electricity, water, etc. -- the things I typically consider Utilities.

o

how you categorize that is a matter of personal choice.

you COULD list it as income, since it saves money on homeowners insurance. according to my agent, and friend who have done it, mine will go down ~15% when i get my monitored alarm system installed.

o

Hi sour Kraut,

(Or is that "cabbage"?).

Don't have much of a suggestion - the one above about whether it might be deductible may be important.

All that I have is a smoke alarm - rented home: law requires it. But my landlord would install it anyway: he's a great guy.

Don't have a co2 alarm, though.

ole joyful

o

Dog. A pet.

Luxury item.

o

If it's not a monitored alarm, I'd say it's a maintenance item. Monitored, it's a service. (It should generate a reduction in home insurance, don't you think?)

o

Well, for my personal budget, I consider it a home expense. For me, "utility" is something that are basic necessities; heat, electricity, water, phone, sanitation. Other expenses that are nice to have, but not critically necessary are things like home security and cable TV. These would be home expenses and fall into the category of those I would be able to cut in a financial crisis.

o

Initial installation - Home expense.
Monthly Monitoring Fees - Utility.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here