Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Investing Forums

Posted by ggalv (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 07 at 19:08

Do you guys know of any other forums you use to ask questions and read other forum topics regarding investing.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Investing Forums

The Motley Fool has a seemingly endless variety of focused investment message communities to choose from.

Check 'em out.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Motley Fool Message Boards

o

What type of information are you looking for?

If your new to investing, I'd suggest visiting the regulatory agency links first. Much better to learn how NOT to lose money before you give your money to someone to manage!

U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission/http://sec.gov/index.htm
The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA)
National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD)

The Wall Street Journal looks at some of the best Web sites for investors:

One of the best sites we found was MSN's MoneyCentral. It took only about two minutes to create our portfolio here, one of the shortest set-ups. The site provides dozens of specific ways to analyze stocks, with another 50 features offered through a quickly downloadable "Investment Toolbox" -- for example, price indicators, stock-split details and real-time stock-price charts.

MoneyCentral is very navigable and user-friendly, offering sections like "Get It Done" that lets investors quickly jump around to different areas. Still, there wasn't much bond information, and the news offerings on the smaller stocks and funds were slim.

Yahoo's finance site also offers a lot of detail about portfolio holdings, good real-time news from wire services, and neatly distinguished stock, mutual-fund, and bond centers. It is not the best organized, however, and can overwhelm users with all of the data available. Views of aggregated portfolio holdings are tough to follow, and setting up our portfolio here took the longest -- close to seven minutes -- since it took a while to figure out how to enter all of the data. Better research and real-time quotes can be purchased for a monthly fee of $11 to $14.

SmartMoney.com, which is part-owned by Dow Jones (which also owns The Wall Street Journal) offers some of the best charting on the Web. Charts are big and readable, and price changes can be tracked easily. The site itself also offers plenty of market news. Creating and monitoring a portfolio here, however, can mean muddling through quite a few advertisements and pop-ups.

Morningstar.com, which is more known for mutual-fund research, offers an impressive portfolio tracker that can also include bonds and cash holdings, unlike some of the other sites surveyed. It's also easy to dig into market-index data at the site.

Financial planning sites:

www.efmoody.com
www.msnbc.msn.com
About.com/Financial planning

Misc. sites:

By Provider
AP
AllBusiness
Bankrate.com
Barron's Online
bizjournals.com
BusinessWeek
Business 2.0
CNNMoney.com
Consumer Reports
Daily FX
Economist.com
Entrepreneur.com
ETFZone.com
Fast Company
Forbes
Fortune
Fortune Small Business
FT.com
Inc.com
Indie Research
Investor's Business Daily
Kiplinger.com
Law.com
MarketWatch
Minyanville
Money
Morningstar.com
Motley Fool
paidContent.org
Portfolio.com
Reuters
Seeking Alpha
SmartMoney.com
Sun CEO Blog
TheStreet.com
TradingMarkets.com
USATODAY.com
U.S.News
The Wall Street Journal
Zacks.com

o
RE: One more thing...

ggalv-I peeked at your member page and noticed your in Ca.

E.F. Moody is also in Ca, and has a LOT of good info on his site.

You might want to look at his site first before wading through everything else!

o

Hello, I'm Sue and I'm lazy. Please tell me how a 'money manager', 'investment broker', whatever(!) earns his daily bread. Not talking about a 'certified financial advisor' who charges a set rate or percentage of portfolio, but a service that holds your paper and issues monthly reports -- little buying or selling -- mostly mutual funds held -- includes a money market fund and checking account.

I'm blinded by that teeny type.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here