SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Choosing Health Plans: Medicare + WHAT?

chisue
14 years ago

I've put in I don't know how many hours trying to decide what plan(s) are best for us in 2010. Anyone else hate this whole 'sign-up' period every autumn?

I *think* we'll continue with an Aetna Medicare Integration Plan. It's served us well for 2009. (Although the plan premium went up 30% for 2010!) It picks up everything Medicare doesn't cover: the extra 20% for doctors, tests, etc., and it pays the Medicare deductibles for MD's and for hospitalization ($135 and $1068 ea.). There's another plan that's identical for a little less, but it leaves us paying those two deductibles out of pocket. I'm not willing to risk the bite for hospitalization to save $300 with the cheaper plan.

DH only takes one cheap generic, so only I need a Part D plan to cover my expensive Advair ($550 retail for 90-day supply). My present 2009 Part D plan premium went up 50% for 2010, and my cost for Advair under that plan went up too, so I had to hunt again.

We'll keep the small dental plan that just barely pays for itself, and we'll add a vision plan for 2010 because we are both due for eye exams. I know I need new lenses and frames.

Anyone who thinks health care costs will be all easy sledding once you are Medicare-eligible is in for a big surprise. We spend as much for drugs, health care and insurance for health care as we do for groceries! We aren't even *sick*, and require only ONE expensive maintenance drug.

Medicare Part B for DH and me is $2314 a year. The Aetna supplement plan is $1044. My Part D for drugs plan is $480 including the deductible. My cost for just Advair under the plan is $244. The Dental is $360. Vision Plan is $245. That's about $4700, and would be more if we didn't have access to group insurance from my DH's former employer.

Curious to know how others are coping.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions