Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A rental cottage on your own property???

Posted by behaviorkelton (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 4, 10 at 17:52

I have, just by chance, looked at two homes for sale.

In both cases, the homes had cute 1,000 sq ft cottages in the back edge of the yard (big yard).

Are there any advantages or disadvantages financially to maintaining a rental on the same lot of your primary residence?
Is it more difficult to "right off" maintenance expenses when the rental is on the same lot as your own house? (or similar issues that make it somewhat different than an rental on a different lot)?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A rental cottage on your own property???

In my area of NY there are many older homes which have cottages on the property. They were once caretakers cottages or small studios. I have two friends who rent them out to short-term renters. They are illegal because zoning laws do not allow collection of rent. The law does allow a caretaker to live there but not pay rent.

My friends do collect rent which covers the cost of heat and electric. They cannot write off any maintenance as it is not legal to collect rent.

You need to check the zoning laws in your area. This area is 1 acre zoning and these cottages share the 1 acre.

Jane

o

This is common in Hawaii. The secondary house is called an "Ohana" -- ohana meaning extended family in Hawaiian. Nowadays people rent them to tourists -- IF they can get a vacation/short term rental license from the county or state. You'd have to have insurance too.

o

The biggest difference is probably in building codes. Even if the building is separate, many of the major systems are interconnected - electrical, plumbing etc. If you have to do an upgrade on one of those systems to meet building codes for a rental, it might require comparable upgrades to your primary residence.

o

I have an apartment in my primary residence, it is part of the house, not a separate cottage (wish it was separate). I have rented it for nearly 8 years. At first it was "illegal", and then I discovered the town had a special permit for "an additional dwelling unit in a single family home" and I applied for the permit. This required a building inspection as well as Board of Health review, and I had to install a 2nd egress to the exterior, and install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, to comply with state fire code. But the apartment is now fully legal in every sense.

Even before the apartment became legal, I claimed the income on my taxes (think it's schedule E?) and deducted expenses pertaining to the apartment which is calculated as 20% of the living space of the house. For example, the utilities are included in the rent, but I write off 20% of electric, oil, and water bills. The homeowner's insurance also lists the home as having two kitchens.

If the cottage is legal rental, then that's great, but even if it wasn't that wouldn't stop me from renting it out anyway (discretely) AND filing the income and expenses on your taxes. I would make sure that the cottage is well-maintained - tip top condition - and that it complies with state fire code, to minimize liability. You really don't want to get in trouble with the IRS or get sued.

This situation works out great (most of the time, I did have one whacko tenant). The rental income helps to pay the mortgage. I also own other rental property and have to say that maintaining a rental unit and monitoring a tenant on an owner-occupied property is much easier than maintaining rental property that is at another location.

o

I would question if your homeowners insurance would provide coverage if as an example something the tenant did caused a problem in the rest of the house such as a fire. Many homeowners insurance will not cover a house with a rental.

o

Several people have mentioned that it depends on the zoning laws where you live.

Pros - you are nearby if something goes wrong (leak, stuck door, rotted floor board, tenant gets locked out, broken window).

Con - You will be pestered all hours of day and night for "emergencies" related to the dwelling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here