SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Medical & Drug Deadline Nears

chisue
12 years ago

My DH and I, both Seniors, must decide on medical and drug insurance by the end of the week. Before we make a change, may I run it past y'all? We talked to the SHIP person at our senior center, but that wasn't much help.

For 2011 we've had a Medicare supplement with Aetna from my DH's former employer. It paid 100% of every medical balance that Medicare did not pay. We each had a Part D plan that discounted our drugs. Were we to continue this way in 2012 the supplement + our two Part D premiums + our costs for our prescriptions totals $5367.

DH's company offers an Aetna PPO plan for 2012. We'd both be covered for a single premium of $1224. It has a $250 pp medical deductible, so I'm figuring $500 up front. After that is satisfied there is the usual 20% copay. Our current prescriptions would cost us $1680. So...this totals $3404, with the 20% copays an unknown.

It seems to be a straightforward gamble. Under the first plan our current meds cost us much more. Any new meds would cost more. We'd pay more if the retail on current meds increases.

Under the second plan, we'd save almost $2000 upfront because our current meds cost less with the PPO. We'd pay less on any new meds. We'd pay less if retail on current meds increases. However, if we do have a lot of medical bills, we have those 20% copays. (THe PPO plan has a $4100 pp OOP maximum.)

I'm *guessing* we would not have $2000 in medical copays.

I *know* we will be taking these expensive prescriptions forever.

Our MD will bill Aetna's PPO. Our hospitals too.

Is there something ELSE I need to look at here?

Thank you!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
More Discussions