SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennmonkey

question re: student loans

jennmonkey
19 years ago

Hi everyone, I know nothing about finances and am wondering if paying off student loans is the same as other loans (ie. mortgages). I am 25 and made the mistake of going to a private college all on loans. I have about 20k in federal loans and 40k in private loans (I know, I know). my question is, as far as my private loans go, for the first 8 or 9 yrs of the loan , I am paying back interest only. If I decide to pay extra each month, can I apply that to the principal if I ask? I am on a graduated payment plan, so now I only pay about $200/month, but in about 10-15 yrs my payments will be like $700/month or something ridiculous like that. I don't want to be paying off this loan for the next 35 yrs, so I am not sure the best way to handle it. Can I pay more now and less later, or will I just have to re-finance the loan in the future. I work in social service and will NEVER be able to afford a $700 monthly payment. But if I ever have to re-finance the loan, it will extend payments even longer. I have no idea what to do. Any advice? thanks, Jenn

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions