Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tax credit for LTC premiums increased

Posted by jkom51 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 11 at 12:15

Just saw this in the NYTimes. However, I believe the credit is lumped in with the "7% of income paid on medical expenses", so it's not a straight deduction.

"...Jesse Slome, executive director of the American Association for Long-Term Care Insurance, point(ed) out that the I.R.S. is going to allow slightly higher tax deductions in 2012 for the smattering of people who have bought private long-term care policies.

The deduction for those who are aged 40 or younger rises from $340 to $350. For 40- to 50-year-olds, it climbs from $640 to $660. Those between 50 and 60 will be able to deduct $1,310 (up from $1,270) and those 60 to 70, a tidy $3,500 (up from $3,390). Insured people over 70 can deduct $4,370, an increase from $4,240. Most years see similar increases of 2 to 3 percent, Mr. Slome told me. Some states also give deductions, or even credits, on state taxes."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tax credit for LTC premiums increased

bump...

o
RE: Tax credit for LTC premiums increased

I'm assuming that if DH & I (both over 60) file a joint return, we'd add $3500, not $7000, to our "7% of income paid on medical expenses"?

We both have LTC insurance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here