Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
repo of car

Posted by mteenytiny (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 30, 05 at 12:13

Has anyone here ever had their vehicle repoed or voluntarily surrendered it? Can you tell me what happens during this process? I do know it will stay on our credit report for 7-10 yrs. Any insight would be great!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: repo of car

First of all, you are charged the extra towing and or surrendering fees of $600.00 to $1000.00. Then the car is auctioned off. You are responible for whatever money is left over on your loan. Some lenders will work with you to set a monthly payment on the amount on a much higher interest rate than what you had to begin with. No payments and a job mean they can go after you with wage garnishment to collect their money. Yes, it will remain on your credit for as long as seven years. If they have repoed the car and have not yet auctioned it off you can go to the lender and try to get them to work with you on the payments. Of course that should have been done early on. The last thing they want to do is take your vehicle. Hope this helps.

o

There are important differences from state to state. If you are in danger of having your car repossessed, contact a local attorney who offers free consultations, or a free legal services office. If you can't find any such assistance, look in the phone book for the number for your state attorney general. Someone in that office can go over the law with you.

As stated in the post above, ideally what you want to do is keep the repossession from occurring because you have more options that way.

o

Lizql & cowboyind ,
Thank you both very much for your input.I hope I have it somewhat worked out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here