Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insurance ??? on Flooring Replacement

Posted by jgibson (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 6, 08 at 12:01

Hopefully someone can share insight on this one. We are in the Galveston area and experienced wind-driven water in the house as a result of Ike. Insurance adjuster has been out check out damage and we're waiting on the estimate for replacement. But here's the question.

The main floor of the house is an open floor plan, about 1400 sqft. About 1200 sqft. is engineered flooring. We received water in approx 700 sqft. The flooring is continuous throughout, with the exception of 3 closets with doors. The rest is open.

So, is it standard for insurance to only replace the rooms that were damaged and then have seams to the rooms that were not? What about color and material matching? I'm concerned that we won't be able to find a match and it will look weird. Please advise!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insurance ??? on Flooring Replacement

When we lived in Michigan we had a really bad winter that resulted in ice dams on parts of our roof. The results were leaking into the house in a couple of areas . Like you, we had an open floor plan, so we needed ALOT of painting done.

After the adjuster came out, we were given a ridiculously low estimate. They wanted to do *touch up paint* and not even do the ceiling. We fought back and finally they gave in and repainted the WHOLE interior that included LR and Kitchen area.

I think it is standard for insurance co.'s to do as little as they can get away with . I'd question them...and let them know you want your floors to match...like they did before the storm.

o
RE: Insurance ??? on Flooring Replacement

You might also ask about this at The Floor Forum here. They may be able to give you some input on just what to tell the adjuster about finding a match or not.

Good Luck.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here