SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Tax service coming after me....or a hoax?

girlgroupgirl
18 years ago

We have a mortgage, and at the time the mortgage company was responsible for paying our taxes out of the escrow account.

Today we recieved a letter from a company claiming they were responsible for making the escrow account payment for the taxes on behalf of our mortgage company (previous to this, I did not know there was any sort of "middle man" to do this). They claim that they made a mistake, and paid our taxes from someone elses account for the year 2004. Now they want a lump sum cash payment immediately.

I checked on the company, and all I could find out is that they do exist (have a web page). Nothing else mentioned about them on the internet at least.

So I'm wondering, are we responsible for paying this? We basically already paid this amount to our old mortgage company to make the payment. This 2nd company says that the taxes show that they were not recieved in the mortgage companies name at all, just company #2's name...somewhere along the line we are already "out" the tax payment. It's been awhile, I figure this company has probably tried to get the cash from the mortgage company who has refused, now they are coming after us. I'm wondering how "liable" we are for their mistake?

"Documentation" was sent to us, but it is completely illegible, and there is some information blacked out. That makes me very suspicious.

I've never ever had a bill collector come after me, never missed a payment before on ANYTHING we own or pay for, so I'm not really sure how these things work.

Has anyone else ever recieved anything like this? It seems hokey.

THANKS!

GGG

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions