SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gigigirl1

help!!! advice needed asap for 2nd mortgage

gigigirl1
9 years ago

I need to take out $30,000 in equity for desperately needed home improvements. Balance of current mortgage is $24,000 @ 4.56% and I only have 12 years left of my mortgage. My mortgage was only for 15 years, and monthly payment is $216 plus house insurance and taxes comes to $270 per month. I pay extra every month and should have it paid off in 9 years or less. I have about $40,000 of equity in my home. We are in our mid 40's and I am terrified to make a stupid move that could hurt us, and I am terribly afraid of loans and debt. It seems the past couple years my husband and I are never working at the same time which is very scary. I have tried to do things where I know we only need 1 income to cover all of our bills. If we are both working at the same time that is great but I do not count on it. The house we bought was an older home that we thought we could fix over the years, but right now it needs some repairs ASAP. I am trying to figure out which loan is the best for us. Cash out refi for 30 years will give me the needed cash and the payment would be low enough that I know we could pay it no matter what the situation would be. I was told closing costs would be about $2500-$3400 which would include buying discount points to get the interest rate to 3.25% for the life of the loan. They would rolls all the closing fees into the loan. Payments for this would be around $260 per month. Another option is a 2nd mortgage Fixed Rate Home Equity for $30,000 for 20 years, I can also do 15 years, and interest rate would be somewhere between 4.6% - 6% and monthly payments on this would be around $150 - $300 and depending on the bank their are additional fees. This would give me a total payment of 1st and 2nd of $500 - $600 per month which kind of scares me. Then there is the HELOC which is variable interest rate. Some banks charge closing fees for the HELOC and some do not, some are offering 3.99 fixed for 3 years and some that rate only for 3 months. The HELOC's terms can be drawn on for 10-15 years and you only pay for what you use and most will only make you pay the interest on what you borrowed in the beginning (which I would never do, I would make much larger monthly payments), and some will do the interest plus very little of principle and then at end of borrowing period you have 10-15 years to pay it back and ARM is anywhere between 1.5% - 2.5% above prime. Also some HELOC's charge an annual fee from $25 - $100 annually, and some banks will allow you to turn the HELOC into a Fixed Rate Equity if Prime skyrockets ONLY if you qualify at the time and others have a cap on ARM interest rate, and other banks if prime skyrockets they automatically rolls it into Fixed Equity Loan. Some of the FINE PRINT on the HELOC disclosures are at the banks discretion for whatever reason they want they can stop the draw on the HELOC and can demand payment in full which terrifies me. What would be the best option for me? there are so many ins and outs and I don't want to do anything that I could potentially lose my house, at the same time repairs are needed ASAP and I really like the fact my house will be paid off in less than 10 years. Now the one bank told me if I did a 30 yr cash out refi and they pay off my 1st mortgage and I would have 1 mortgage with them. If I rolled the closing cost of $3400 in the loan, and if I paid around $250 extra per month for the life of the loan I can have the full 30 yr loan paid off within 11 years but if anything did happen to one of us my payments would only be around $250 per month. ADVICE PLEASE!!!!! Oh, the banks I have been talking to are Navy Federal, USAA, and a local bank which would do it in house. We have both come out of divorces and have only been married for 3 years, and just started buying things together 2.5 years ago and are slowly rebuilding our credit from our divorces. Our credit isn't the greatest, but in the past 2.5 years we have paid everything perfect. Sorry for the book, but thank you to all who read it. I have to apply by Monday, Dec 1, 2014. ADVICE PLEASE ASAP!!!!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions