Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
time to remodel?

Posted by kraftdee (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 19, 08 at 10:34

Hello,
Do you all think it's a good time to remodel? I have no idea what price of material is/was like (flooring, bath tile, etc.) also, cost of labor..has it gone up or down?
Should I wait...
thanks,
Dee the financially unsavvy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: time to remodel?

as long as you are paying cash, and not financing,i'd do it..I have done several small projects in the last 2 months, and prices are lower AND negotiable...

o

Depends on how much debt you have, how secure your job is and whether you need two incomes to survive.

Two income families may have to survive, at best, on one income. With costs rising, it may prove difficult. You can do a lot with very little cash and DIY but 5-15K is a considerable chunk of cash you may need later.

o

If it's necessary to maintain your house or keep it at the same level as your neighborhood competition, certainly.

Otherwise, you should improve only if you are willing to consider the satisfaction of living with what you want, to be a satisfactory return on your remodeling dollars. In today's depressed RE markets, remodeling will not bring you a greater price, although it might make your house more saleable than others in your area. But YMMV!

Good luck.

o

Thanks for your replies. To remodel would bring our house up to the current market level so what you say makes alot of sense. Thanks to all of you smart people.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here