Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
construction loan or spend down HELOC?

Posted by jubileej (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 28, 06 at 8:28

We have refinanced our whole house remodel 3 or 4 times - I lose count, and will need to max out the current one to get our floors in in 4 rooms. Should I consider a construction loan to finish to preserve the remaining home equity for other expenses (such as son's college tuition, car expenses, etc.)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: construction loan or spend down HELOC?

Don't construction loans usually come with short terms, with the expectation that you will refinance the mortgage after construction is complete?

o

I don't think you can get a "construction" loan for a remodeling job. You can get a second mortgage that can be used for Home Improvements.

But true construction loans are usually Interest Only draw loans to build a new house. At the end of construction they are then "modified" into a regular first lien mortgage.

o

Hi jubileej,

Something simple is missing here;
It doesn't matter WHAT you choose to call the loan... "equity loan" or "construction loan" or "renovation loan" etc. You are ALWAYS borrowing against the remaining equity.

I'd suggest getting a properly structured renovation loan in place. A good loan officer will walk you through the paces, which (in itself) will help gel your working plans & budgets, and FINALLY bring the project to completion for you.

Getting the project done all in one coordinated process will be cheaper and less stressful to you overall, and then you will finally be able to get a standard, long-term financial plan in place.

Luck!
Dave Donhoff
Strategic Equity & Mortgage Planner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here