Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
car accident with a rental?

Posted by etznab (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 2, 10 at 6:57

I frequently use rental cars throughout the country. I always turn down the liability insurance, since I have comprehensive coverage through my personal auto policy.

But I have never been involved in an accident with a rental car. Do any of you have any experience with this? Did your insurance company take care of everything or were you on the hook for anything past your deductible?

Any suggestions on what I should look for to make sure my personal auto policy covers me completely?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: car accident with a rental?

Call your agent. We rented a 15 passenger van for a day to go to an amusement park and the agent told me at first the insurance co wouldn't cover it. I asked her to try again and after two hours she said they would cover it.

The agent gets paid for servicing the account, you might as well get your money's worth by asking a few questions.

o

As long as your policy carries liability for injuries to others, property damage for damage to other property and collision for damage to the rental vehicle you should be fine. That is unless your policy excludes rentals. Most policies don't but some companies won't extend to rentals. Comprehensive will cover fire,theft and generally glass, flying objects etc. You will have to pay your deductible and yes, if the accident was your fault you could possible lose a driving discount but that all depends on your state and your insurance company.

o

My dh dinged something in a rental truck earlier this year. He had originally asked for a car, but when he got there all they had was a pickup truck. Originally he was denied the claim because the vehicle was a car and not a truck. He was denied because it was for work. I think he was going to see if it was covered under credit card insurance, but then his company sucked it up and paid the damages since he had no choice, but to drive the truck.

o

15 minutes after renting a car, a deer broadsided me. I only had to pay the deductible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here