SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbcollins_gw

Health Insurance; Exclusion Issue Question

barbcollins
12 years ago

DH & I are shopping around for more affordable health insurance and want to go back to an HSA. We got a quote which will save us almost $5K on health insurance premiums. But there is a catch.

The underwriters came back and said they want to exclude my right knee. I had surgery for a torn cartilidge about 6 years ago, and currently had some arthritis in the knee (I am 46). I got a shot of Orthovisc about a year and a half ago, and was thinking of getting another one in the next 3-6 months. It helped a lot.

The exclusion means that they will not cover any injury or disease (other than cancer) to my right knee, even if it is unrelated to the arthritis INDEFINITELY.

In my current condition I do not expect any more surgeries for a long time, though I suspect "Some Day" the knee will have to be replaced. I suspect it will be in 15 years or so.

Would you take this risk to save $5K/year on insurance (in additin to the tax benefiits we would get for having an HSA)?

Do you know if we accept this exclusion will that be a black mark on my record forever if we try to change health plans again?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions