SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathie54_gw

about those combo atm/debit cards...did you know...

cathie54
16 years ago

I am posting this for the people out there who DO NOT KNOW!

A 'recent re-issue' of an ATM card prompted me to post this.

Several years ago I had an ATM card. My ATM card was good ONLY for use at any ATM machine. AND it clearly said "ATM" on the face of the card.

I ALSO had option of a SEPERATE debit card, which I have never had, and still refuse to have.

A few years back, I rec'd a NEW REPLACEMENT ATM card and a notice - (one MUST read the fine print!)- that said it was a DEBIT CARD...AND an ATM card - all in one.

The first time I looked at the new combo "Debit/ATM Card", I became concerned.

BECAUSE:

1) My 'OLD' ATM Card said "ATM" on it.

2) My 'NEW' card said meerly(sp?) VISA or MASTERCARD on it.

3) IT LOOKED LIKE A CREDIT CARD!!!

4) I'd never had a DEBIT CARD, and did NOT want one.

5) Being used to 'whipping out' my CREDIT card, I feared the accidental mistake of using my "NEW DEBIT CARD" - THINKING it was a CREDIT CARD. (and the potential of all the fees, bounced checks, etc., which would be VERY EASY honest mistake!)

So, the very first time I got one of those cards (a few years ago) - which were a "combo ATM/DEBIT CARD", I called my bank and told them I ONLY want ATM CARD, but NOT a DEBIT CARD.

...Which they responded that they no longer provide seperate ATM CARDS!

I expressed MY concerns that these cards look SO SIMILAR to a CREDIT CARD, and could get me into trouble! (And guess what? THAT didn't matter to them! haha)

THIS IS WHAT I FOUND OUT, HOWEVER:

When you get your new "ATM/DEBIT CARD"...

I was told way back that if I DO NOT call that toll-free number to 'activate' my card, I can STILL use it for ATM ONLY, ...AND, will NOT work as a DEBIT CARD!

Since then, I have ALWAYS called CUSTOMER SERVICE - (NOT the "activate" ph # !!!) - to VERIFY that I do NOT need to 'activate' the card to use soley as an ATM card.

I was prompted to write this b'cuz I got a 'renew' card a few weeks ago, and I need to call them again to verify if this STILL holds true!

The PROBLEMS with this type card:

1) It LOOKS like a CREDIT CARD, and if you aren't paying attention, could EASILY mistake it for a CC, when it's actually a DEBIT CARD.

2) When you receive the card in mail, the FIRST thing you notice is to "call the toll-free # fm your home phone to activate"!!!

Which is very deceiving - as far as I'm concerned. (IF you don't want a DEBIT CARD)

So...THERE you go!

I know CC's are NOT a way to go, and I'm currently digging myself out of the CC "game".

BUT...for those of us who still have CC's and are in a similar position as I, (tight on $$ and cannot AFFORD to make a mistake), thot I'd throw out that bit of IMPORTANT info!

Comments (41)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus
More Discussions