Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Credit cards and arbitration clauses

Posted by cocooner (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 05 at 3:04

We just received a notice from our credit card company notifiying us that, effective the beginning of the new year, that all disputes will be subject to binding arbitration. This means that one gives up the right to sue and cannot enter a class action suit.

I take a dim view of this, but may keep the card and find another one for those times when I want to use one. I would keep the original card since we've had it a long time which is good for one's credit rating.

Do other's credit cards have such clauses?

cocooner

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Credit cards and arbitration clauses

yes, one of our cards had it. I don't remember what it was though. We don't carry credit cards anymore. We just have one through our credit union, for emergencies. I got so sick of them selling my name and sending me notices on my privacy rights and arbitration stuff that I canceled them all.
If you have a car loan and a mortgage I think that you would be fine and not need to keep the card for a good credit rating.
My husband and I recently got another car loan and we do not have credit cards anymore. We do have other older car loans that were paid off and a house mortgage. They gave us no problem when we applied. We are both under 30 also, so we do not have that much credit history.
I was always told that to get a credit score, get a credit card and once you get a loan (house, car) you really don't need the credit card anymore because you have shown that you can pay off the loan on time. I am not sure if this is 100% true though.
-renee

o
RE: Credit cards and arbitration clauses

I think your idea to keep the card but not use it is probably smartest from the standpoint of your credit score. One thing that's said to help your score is to have a lot of available credit that you're not actually using.

You're also to be applauded for reading the notice they sent you. Probably about 90 percent of their customers that got those did not bother to read them, which is why they will easily get away with taking their customers' rights away from them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here