Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to park emergency funds

Posted by wigardenerwannabe (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 23:07

Just hoping for some input on where (ie. types of investments) to put 'emergency funds' as you gradually add to them. I'm talking about in the $10,000 to $22,000 range, but still have reasonable access to it in the event of an emergency need.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to park emergency funds

The Money Market is a safe investment that gives you immediate access, but an interest rate that runs less than inflation. Otherwise, I'd recommend you find a Certified Financial Advisor to look at your financial situation and help you put together an investment plan to give you 'enough' liquidity, but also some potential for earnings.
JMHO

o

Altho the price can fluctuate a little, look at Ginnie Mae funds at Vanguard or Fidelity. Morningstar is the standard for mutual fund ratings. You'll get a better rate of return than with money market funds even with a very slight price fluctuation.

I'll also recommend Bob Brinker's radio program and website. Lots of great information.

http://www.bobbrinker.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Morningstar ratings

o

Hi wigardnerwannabe,

I would *NOT*& recommend putting emergency reserves in *ANY* non-insured account. (period!)

There are good high-yield checking accounts on offer, fully FDIC insured. Yield is in the high 3%s to low 4%s.

Google 'high yield checking' and choose among several specialty websites that do nothing by gather these kinds of accounts to shop amongst.

Luck!
Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner

o

For emergency funds, they should be:

A) 100% liquid
B) 100% Safe

Obviously, a higher interest rate is good, but not at the expense of A or B.

o

'Ready' funds? Six months to a year's living expenses. Likely more than $20K. So...where to put $50K? (In a *checking account*? Really? Those I've seen advertised have some strage requirements. I don't use a debit card or need to access pay-per-service cash machines.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here