SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcrawfo2

Early buyout/Insurance/baby

bcrawfo2
16 years ago

My wife is about 5 months pregnant (due Jan 31st) and fed up with her job. She can't make it til mid January for maternity leave to start. Her company (about 20000 employees) is about to announce early buyouts (offers estimated to arrive mid October). The terms are believed to be about 3 months pay. One question...do these buyouts usually include insurance for this term? The reason for asking this...her insurance is EXCELLENT...mine is terrible (but a very good salary). Her insurance is so good..they pay up to $40k for in-vitro fertilization we had to use. Mine would pay zero for that. I expect delivery of a baby would have a substantial cost difference as well.

If buyouts usually include insurance, I calculate the 3 months being a few weeks short of due date. Are buyouts usually negotiable? Could she push for 4 months or something?

Also...I don't know much about COBRA. Would COBRA from her company be the same coverage as what she has today? I'm wondering if paying for COBRA at her old employer would be better than paying additional at my employer to add her (at least for baby delivery).

Any thoughts, comments, opinions appreciated.

Comments (6)