Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Conversion of IRA's to Roth

Posted by debr (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 25, 06 at 21:07

I'm age 55 and plan to retire at age 62 or sooner. Would it make sense for me at this point in my life to start changing my traditional IRA's to Roth IRA's? Looking for pro's and con's of each. Thanks, everyone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Conversion of IRA's to Roth

You will have to pay taxes on whatever amount you convert to the ROTH. The traditional IRA's permit a tax deduction for the amount contributed in a year, with a ROTH the contribution is after tax money.

I guess how much you opt to convert would depend on your tax bracket and your ability to pay the taxes on it and how soon after your retirement you plan to begin withdrawing the funds. .

I converted the entirety of my IRA money back when you were first permitted to do so. If I remember correctly, I had between 3 and 4 years to pay the taxes on it. I'm glad I did it then. Now the money grows TAX FREE and there is no minimum age at which I must begin withdrawing the money.

o

There were also income limits when converting. I remember that we had to be less than $100,000 to spread the taxes out.

debr, I'm sure the regs are out there. This might be one of those things you'd want some professional help with. There are advantages to both types of IRAs depending upon your retirement plans. We have both.

Gloria

o

Yes, I am glad I did convert as the tax-free money is such an advantage. At 65 I still add to it from a part-time job. It's worth paying the taxes up front over the, I believe, four year period.

I have also taken a withdrawal when needed...it's there for that reason at this age. Wish I had done that at 55yrs, but still is a good deal. Hope you consider it.

Sharlee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here