SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
share_oh

New CC authorized, but can't use it

share_oh
15 years ago

I had a Circuit City credit card several years ago. At the time it was a store card only. Circuit City closed in my town a year or two ago.

The other day I got a new Circuit City VISA card in the mail. I figured since it was now a VISA I would go ahead and keep it.

So yesterday I called to activate the card. Talked to an actual rep, he was very nice, declined the extras they always offer and figured I was all set.

Today I stopped for gas and swiped the card - it said to go inside and see attendant. He tells me this happens all the time at the pumps, shouldn't be a problem. Well no go. So I use another card.

When I got home I called the # on the card and the woman (this is a Chase card) rep tells me the card isn't active because it has been inactive for 2 years.

I said I called yesterday and activated it. She said but its inactive. I repeated myself. She said it's a security measure - since you haven't used it in 2 years, it's to keep someone from using your account.

I said well how am I supposed to use my account then? She said you have to take the card to Circuit City and have them swipe it. I said there is no Circuit City near me any more. She said then you have to take it to another store that requires an authorization code and buy something small. I said how do I know what stores require that? (Obvioiusly the gas station didn't). She had no answer for that.

I told her the rep I spoke to yesterday never said I had to use my card at a Ciruit City first, or I would've just told him to forget it since there wasn't one nearby. She said apparently he didn't know your account had been inactive for 2 years.

By now I am beyond frustrated! I told her to just cancel my account. She asked if I wanted to talk to their Security center and see if they could activate it over the phone. Ok, I'll try that.

Same song and dance from the security rep!

Am I missing something here? Why would THEY send me a new card, let me activate it over the phone, and then tell me later about the Circuit City requirement?

I would like to contact Chase about this, but don't want to get stuck talking/emailing customer service. I'd like to go higher up. Any ideas on what I should do? I'm sure I won't get anywhere with them, but it might make me feel better!

TIA

Sher

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions