Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New CC authorized, but can't use it

Posted by share_oh (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 30, 08 at 19:48

I had a Circuit City credit card several years ago. At the time it was a store card only. Circuit City closed in my town a year or two ago.

The other day I got a new Circuit City VISA card in the mail. I figured since it was now a VISA I would go ahead and keep it.

So yesterday I called to activate the card. Talked to an actual rep, he was very nice, declined the extras they always offer and figured I was all set.

Today I stopped for gas and swiped the card - it said to go inside and see attendant. He tells me this happens all the time at the pumps, shouldn't be a problem. Well no go. So I use another card.

When I got home I called the # on the card and the woman (this is a Chase card) rep tells me the card isn't active because it has been inactive for 2 years.

I said I called yesterday and activated it. She said but its inactive. I repeated myself. She said it's a security measure - since you haven't used it in 2 years, it's to keep someone from using your account.

I said well how am I supposed to use my account then? She said you have to take the card to Circuit City and have them swipe it. I said there is no Circuit City near me any more. She said then you have to take it to another store that requires an authorization code and buy something small. I said how do I know what stores require that? (Obvioiusly the gas station didn't). She had no answer for that.

I told her the rep I spoke to yesterday never said I had to use my card at a Ciruit City first, or I would've just told him to forget it since there wasn't one nearby. She said apparently he didn't know your account had been inactive for 2 years.

By now I am beyond frustrated! I told her to just cancel my account. She asked if I wanted to talk to their Security center and see if they could activate it over the phone. Ok, I'll try that.

Same song and dance from the security rep!

Am I missing something here? Why would THEY send me a new card, let me activate it over the phone, and then tell me later about the Circuit City requirement?

I would like to contact Chase about this, but don't want to get stuck talking/emailing customer service. I'd like to go higher up. Any ideas on what I should do? I'm sure I won't get anywhere with them, but it might make me feel better!

TIA
Sher

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New CC authorized, but can't use it

I told her the rep I spoke to yesterday never said I had to use my card at a Ciruit City first, or I would've just told him to forget it since there wasn't one nearby. She said apparently he didn't know your account had been inactive for 2 years.

My thoughts are the the rep from yesterday was incompetent.

By now I am beyond frustrated! I told her to just cancel my account. She asked if I wanted to talk to their Security center and see if they could activate it over the phone. Ok, I'll try that.

Same song and dance from the security rep!
The second rep was also incompetent also for not knowing that Security 'could not' activate it. She should have never suggested it.

I would like to contact Chase about this, but don't want to get stuck talking/emailing customer service. I'd like to go higher up. Any ideas on what I should do? I'm sure I won't get anywhere with them, but it might make me feel better!
You will likely find incompetency clear up the ladder of command. You will likely not find anyone who even cares. I would call and cancel it, and that would be satisfaction to me and make me feel better. Their loss. They lost you as a customer.

If someone somewhere is really good when you call to cancel it and explain why, they may just give you a $10 or $20 free credit on your card to spend, if you just don't cancel.

Good luck with whatever you do. Please keep us posted.

Incompetency just wears me out. It makes me so pleased and happy when I happen upon a really good competent worker, be it on the phone, or in person.

Sue

o

You might want to consider contacting Chase bank as I believe Circuit City is under bankruptcy now. It could be that Chase just bought the credit cards from Circuit City and sent out the cards. Also pull up your credit report to see who has been getting information. Personally, I would cancel the card in writing, asked Chase to contact all three credit bureaus to show account closed by customer. No explaination is necessary.

o

I think they might just have found a database of out of date cards and decided to try and get you all back on the hook again, but no one ran around finding out if CC was still in your area (like they would care or even consider doing that!).

o

I did cancel it with the 2nd rep I talked to. That's a good idea about checking with the credit bureaus to make sure it's listed as closed by customer.

I really want to contact a bigwig at Chase. If I have time this weekend I will see if I can find a name to email.

The first guy I talked to, when I activated (or thought I activated!) the card told me I could use the card at Circuit City online - because I would be earning Circuit City rewards with my purchases, so that's probably why they wouldn't check to see if there were any stores in my area - but you're right, they wouldn't care anyhow.

I do wonder why they are sending out CC cards now if CC is going bankrupt? That's even more frustrating.

o

Well, if you were going bankrupt, wouldn't you try anything you could to get new customers (or old new customers) on board?

o

Sort of like getting a new car.

No wheels.

Looks nice - sitting on blocks.

Especially to blockheads ... the ones who told you where to go ...

... to get wheels ...

... only to be told ...

... to Chase yourself: there weren't any!

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here