SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laylibird

not-yet-necessary expenses

laylibird
16 years ago

Greetings, My DH and I are about to become new homeowners (provided all goes to plan). I've posted this on the HVAC forum, and I am hoping to get other perspectives here.

The home we are purchasing is a 1400 sq ft single level home in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. We have seasonal weather, with brief (2-3 wks) periods of extreme temperatures (below 30F/above 90F). This home has a 20 yo Cadet wall furnace system + a wood burning stove. It has no vents, nor any form of a/c. (Although the sellers have installed very nice ceiling fans throughout.)

We just had a full home inspection. The HI was impressed with the quality of construction of the home, checked the heating system and said it hadn't been recalled and was working well.

Most homeowners in our area expect a forced air, ventilated system, and we negotiated the asking price down due to this issue. We are collecting estimates to convert to a forced air system with electric heat pump, the current range is 9.5K-12K.

We have funds to do the conversion now, and we will convert the system at some point. We expect to stay in this home for at least 5 years or more.

My question:

Is there an overwhelming benefit to converting now? Before we move in?

Or do we wait and convert later(in a year or so)?

Many thanks for any advice!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions