Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How t make every day like weekend

Posted by joyfulguy (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 05 at 15:33

Retire - then every day becomes like weekend.

Many people say that they'd like to retire early.

Best way to do that?

Don't buy lottery tickets, engage in other gambling - unless you count it entirely as entertainment: a worthwhile investment it ain't.

As the editor of Canada's best money managment magazine told us in London on Tues. night - he's never bought lottery tickets.

I haven't either - but I think I won about $10. in lottery winnings, about 10 years ago (bonus when buying a certain number of litres gas at certain stations, same price gas as elsewhere).

But - learn how to make your money work more effectively for you, invest it wisely and build your own investment portfolio - build your own lottery winnings.

Make your increased skill at money management allow you to live pretty well as before, but invest the savings. Set aside 10% or up to 15% (even more if you can manage) to invest, so that you can retire early.

Then ...

... retire early.

Freedom - that's what it gives you.

His magazine had an article a few months ago by a guy who reited at 34.

He wote another article last month, about the problem of rising gas prices.

But he said he's doing even better - he owns some oil stocks.

Learning how money works is an interesting hobby - that pays well.

On the day you went to work - you had brains and hands working - but no money.

On the day you retire, you have brains and money working - but no hands.

During the years before retirement, it's best if you can be like the editor of the financial magazine, who has some snow on top of his head - white hair, that is.

The best news that he gave during his talk the other night?

That he loves what he's doing and has no thought of retiring.

Some of us were worried that he'd sell the magazine, new owner would come in and mess it all up.

Many of us like it the way it is.

Though it has a Canadian focus, there's wisdom there that's transferable.

See all the overheads he used at his talk if yo go to www.canadianmoneysaver.ca/tips and tools.

Best thing you can do before retirement?

Love the work you're doing. Some people say that it doesn't seem like work, cause they love it.

Vocation being as insecure as it is these days, find a work that you do love.

Or make it - set up your own business.

Lastly - have 6 mos. income available so you'll still be floating after 6 mos. even if income stops.

That makes you feel a lot more comfortable in life. Less chewing of fingernails.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

ole joyful

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How t make every day like weekend

I'm forty; and I have five years left before retirement; looks like I'll make it, too.

I agree with Joyful. Retire early.

o

My dad took the earliest retirement he could, at age 61. He told me it was the best thing he ever did. He passed at age 75. I retired at this past August at age 52 due to disability. I am enjoying being free, do what I want when I want, within my physical limits. I visit my old friends at work. Everyone tells me how less stressed I look.

o

Jannie,

Suggest you find some other friends, as soon you'll probably find that your interests are different now than those of your old work buddies.

I think you may also find that they get a bit negative, due to jealousy of your good fortune.

As we get older, I've suggested that we keep learning new interests, finding new friends. Some have said that they have a lot of friends, now - so why bother?

I replied that yes, you do have quite a few friends - and you'll keep losing them, whether from moving far away, heavy disability (e.g. Alzheimer's) and death.

When it's your turn to go, of course, that problem of losing friends disappears.

They ain't no trapdoors in heaven, I've heard - once they let you in, you're there. So no more losing friends, right?

Enjoy each day as it comes.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here