SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ayimera

Experience as a 1-car couple?

ked1985
9 years ago

We moved into a new home (my first real house with my husband) and it's definitely been a strain on our finances with all the projects and expenditures, etc. I was recently considering selling one of our two cars, as they make up almost $1000/mo. of the budget combined. He has a 2010 Honda Element, and I have a 2011 Mini Cooper (this would be the car to go). We have no children, and plan to have no children in the near future. He takes public transportation 3 days a week into the city for work, and works from home the other 2. So basically, the Element sits in the driveway for 5 days. I drive to work every day.

Seems like a no-brainer, right? Just sell the car. Except we are both very active during the weekends and he is involved in a lot of activities, which means I'd be stranded at home or vice versa.

Does anyone have experience as a 1-car couple? Did it strain the relationship at all, or did you get used to it after awhile? I love the convenience and I love my little Mini, but I could see the $400/mo we save going a long way for a bit of scheduling hassle.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions